Wednesday, January 27, 2010

2009 - I stepped it UP - A Year in Review

With no kids, dogs, cats, bunnies in our home, I made the jump from semi-crazed bike racer and rider to crazed-obsessed bike racer and rider in 2009. It was a banner year for riding and saddle time.

I purchased a PowerTap SL (plus) hub and built up a lightweight wheel, early in 2009 and logged some great time and great numbers for my first year of owning one. I didn't get hung up on the details too much or spend hours slaving over watts numbers. I had a few surprising days and some surprising watts at a given time here and there throughout the year. It's nice to see after a ride / workout to come home and look and compare how I felt with what the strain gauges had to say. I did one road race with the wheel on, just to see what the data looked like, an interesting view of effort, watts and energy.

I managed to dial in to some serious hours for the year - a new record for me. Thank you BWE (Best Wife Ever®). I pretty much worked out or rode my bike 6 days a week from January 15 I think to December 22. I took a week off or so, sometime in the summer, I took a week or so off, maybe two from Summer to reset the engine for cyclocross season. But overall, I think doubled the hours from 2007. It showed.


Road/Crit
I had almost a full road racing season in early 2009 finishing in the top 10 of the CAT 4 races and top 10 overall in the series. Six total. I maybe missed out on two of the races I think. I was actually ranked 7th in the State out of 84 results - not bad for an old fat guy.

I managed to sneak into a few critieriums, Troy, Garrett Wonders, Germantown and a few others. I had good result at Troy in the CAT 3/4 race beating quite a few 'fast' guys from around our area.

Mountain Biking
The mountain bike treated me well in '09. I had three top-5 finishes in the Sport Category of the OMBC.net series, no wins, but good legs, good fun and a little bit of money in my pocket. I had a great time at the Mohican 100k finishing in less than 7 hours at 6:46. I know I had more speed in me and a better time, but I rode somewhat cautious and conservative and still finished in the top 40 of I think about 150 total. A bunch of us hit up the Iceman again, which is always fun with more people and had a great time. I bested my fasted time by 15 minutes on a 26" hardtail. I was a minority on my 'little bike' at the Expert Start-line, but still had a blast ripping along and feeling great at 20 mph big ring style.

Cyclocross -
Wow, it looks like close to 20 cross races. That is sick. No wonder I was tired at Christmas. I raced in two series, the OVCX and the Cap City Cross Series. OVCX covers, Ohio, Kentucky and Indiana and the Cap City is basically a regional series, but still very tough.
I got in one Michigan Cross race, which was the day after the Iceman. I got 3rd! My other best finish all year in a cross race - podium material. The day after a almost 30 mile Point to Point mtb race. Third is good motivation.

I had one other third place at Smith Farms in the CapCity series, where I battled back from 10th place in the first few laps and picked off people one by one for another Podium.

I missed only one of the Cap City Races (on purpose) and still managed to finish with a 9th Place overall. In the more "game face" series, OVCX I hung in for a strong 13th Place, but several of those ahead of me moved up into the 2/3 Field/class just before the last two races. So, in my mind I finished Top 10 with some super super fast guys and youngsters. Rodkey, Dillman, Johnson, etc....guys I never saw after the starts during my races - good solid racing by these guys and others. Cross certainly ranks high on my list of fun and enjoyment of pain.

Summary
A great year overall. I was happy with the results versus the effort and all the work I put in. I think there is more in the tank for 2010. I have a birthday next month and am not getting any younger. It was a good year, knowing I had a bulls-eye on my back for quite a few of these races, which means I was on someone's radar at one point or another during the racing season, I don't mind that at all, it makes racing that much more interesting.
I managed to race and ride bikes with some great and amazing people this past year.

Some Best Of:
  • Best Win: Ice Cross, Traverse City, MI
  • Best Team Win: Garrett Wonders CAT 1/2 race - so cool to watch it work.
  • Best Comeback: Cap City Cross - Smith Farms- 10th to 3rd place
  • Favorite Race: Mohican 100k
  • Favorite CX course: John Bryan
  • Favorite Crit: Troy
  • Favorite Bikes 2009: Specialized Tarmac Expert & 2010 Ridley Crosswind
  • Biggest Heartbreaker: MTB @ OMBC/Lake Hope - from 1st place to next to last (double flats)
  • Favorite Bike Products of 2009: Quoleum Embrocation, Chamois Butt'r, Garmin 705, Ergon Grips, Nuun, Shimano 6700 shifters, Selle Gel Flow Saddle, Specialized S-works MTB and Road shoes, Planet X carbon tubie wheels, 34mm Griffo cross tires, Ridley cross bike geometry, Wobble-Naught bike fits.
For you geeks out there:
  • Best CP 30: 282w
  • Best CP 20: 304w
  • Best CP 12: 404w
  • Best CP 5: 1038 w
  • Best CP 1: 1090w
  • Most Calories in one-week: 9500

No comments: