Tuesday, July 6, 2010

2010 Tour De France Tech

I am going to interupt this blog for some 2010 Tour de France bike tech gear stuff. 

Funny, it's easier and faster for me to gather and post this, than it is for me to do race write ups of the last two hundred-mile mountain bike races. I have them started, just need to finish them both. 

I figured I would gather some of my favorite geek moments of this year's tour. Since I love tech, gear and bike tech stuff. I'll try to update this post as I find stuff, in the next three weeks of the tour.


first five photos taken by my main detail pic taker man: James Huang

Sweet Saddle looks like left over from last year's Tour. Note it's a setback seatpost and the saddle is almost as far back on it's rails as possible. 
 These large bottom pulley's seem to be installed on a few bikes this year. Theory is, they reduce the friction in the system. I am guessing we'll be reading more about this modification in popular news publications or websites. I don't see any negative's to having larger pulley wheels, these I am sure have ceramic bearings in them and are very light weight. Note the blue cable end cap. I love it when James H. finds the little details and gets photos.







This photo is left over from Paris Roubaix. Please note they are carbon and also note the grip tape on the inside of the cage to keep friction on the bottle, so it doesn't slip out.
I have used the Tacx Cages on my road bikes for year and now I have put one on my new Specialized Epic mountain bike. A great cage, I have never lost a bottle.








I do like this detail. Yes it's just an aluminum bolt, with some words, still cool non the less.








Some limited edition SRAM components painted up TDF yellow for the 2010 race. I am sure these will make it on some over priced trek bike at some point and then be purchased by some guy in a full on radio shack kit only to be seen riding in his TT bars on the local bike path.
Lance's hot rod for the Prologue had this funky carbon pulley cover / flat airwing installed between the rear derailleur and the top and bottom pulleys. Interesting idea, obviously this was tested in a wind tunnel, there must have been some benefit, or they are hiding some other type of pulley wheel tech.

Wonder if this hanging chad of a cable offsets the gain of the derailleur airwing? I think the internal cable is a great idea, but I am not sure the giant cable loop is such an aerodynamic piece hanging out there at the back of the bike. The derailleur cable entry point, does not allow for a very smooth or short cable combined with the exit of internal cable point. Odd the SRAM XO, XX derailleur's have a better cable entry point than the SRAM road.



The HTC-Columbia team teamed up with sponsors HTC, web giant Google and SRM for the 2010 Tour de France. SRM sensors on the team’s bikes collect data, such as speed and rider’s heart rate, then feed this data through Android HTC smartphones. The data is then displayed by Google alongside extra information provided by apps such as Google Maps and Street View.


7/8/2010
Additionally cool is this live up-to-date animated action of the race from Eurosport TV.  The legs on the cyclists pedal, which is fun and it's very accurate. I would imagine, based on gps tracking. I like to watch this during the mountain stages, when the peloton is strung out for miles up the mountains. The commentary is somewhat robotic and stale of any sense of personality, but there is always some good facts and figures about the tour, which you don't see on other US magazine tour tracking text updates.





pics by: James Huang


July 12: update
Wow, nice find today at the Garmin camp. Interesting design and can I just say....My mom always used to tell me not to use the word hate when I was growing up, but I can't stand Greg Lemond. His bikes sucked, he sucks, he's a whiner and a big baby that was a bad business man and surrounded himself with bad business decision makers.

On a positive note: i have heard nothing but great things about his "spinner" type bikes and would imagine if Garmin is on these and they were approved by Mr. Vaughters, they might be ok? Will be interested in the price point....I am going to lay out a guess of around 500-750 dollars US.

No comments: