Sunday, November 7, 2010

OVCX #10 - Gun Club Cross - Going Backwards


A pre-race ride the course video by Elite racer - Peter Hills
and "borrowed" from Joe B's blog.

Above is a super sweet video put together by my teammate Doug. He actually is a professional videographer for a living - hence the quality and look.

...and onto my race. This photo represents what my front chainring felt like on race day. The car was not present. But to sum up my race, terrible and not as bad as I thought. I ran over the double barriers like a  150 year old man. I dismounted my bike for the single barrier hill run up like I was getting out of my wheelchair. I pedaled hard and fast and smooth in the twisty bits, and short uphill sections, where my mountain bike skills come in handy. I dismounted my bike and ran up the steep hill at the creek with the form of a 2 year old eating smashed food off my tray. I was embarrased to get off my bike down in the creek area and run up that hill. Hillarious, Corey Green actually pushed me up the hill while he was warming up on the course, that was the fastest I went up that hill for the entire race.
So, the story is, I over trained, over raced and got in the car after Bloomington and then went out and did hill repeats the tuesday after.
I showed up at Gun Club just hoping to hang on for dear life to the top half of the 35+. My morale and general mood was down, knowing I had to run barriers and look like a mannequin in front of a ton of people near the wheel pit and save face, from my best finish at Bloomington. It's tough going from top 6 to top 20, but this type of thing keeps one humble and keeps one fighting. I got passed pretty much by anyone and everyone in the first few laps and gave up with about a lap to go.
At least I finished with some points for the overall series and live to pedal another day. There are worse things than having one bad race out of a dozen or 20?


No comments: