Monday, July 25, 2011

Wed Night Worlds - not quite there...



 So, here is what our Wed-Night-Worlds road ride looks like from a watt and speed perspective. As guys get more and more fit, this ride always seems to get faster as the season of summer peaks, and much more aggressive from all aspects of speed, attempted breaks and accelerations.

The temp was around 86-90 degrees or so. Lots of surges, lots of roller coaster hills and roller coaster moments, where you feel like your are going to get flung out the back roller coaster car at one of the hill crests.
There are quite a few CAT 1,2,3's up front the entire time rotating and then making breaks off the front one after another. It's a great workout and for sure a way to test your level of fitness and mostly a way to put you in your place from a humility standpoint. Just when you think you are in shape or 'fast', you show up to this ride, and quickly find out you are not fast or that fit. :)

The ride is quite safe or the route for that matter. However, it's quite a challenge to get to the starting location, at 6p from where I work. This particular time, I parked about 4 miles from the starting location and rode there as a warm up. In years past I have ridden from my house, which makes this a very long hard ride home. I want to say more like a 75 mile or so ride. Which, based on my effort and fitness, it was a great decision not to make it that long of a ride.

I did manage to get into a rotating line with a group of us trying to bridge a gap back to the main group, doing 28+. I was dreading my turns at the front, but managed to pull through and recover, I was glad the main group found a stop sign and some traffic.

No comments: