Friday, December 25, 2009

Music of 2009 - my favorites

Some of you may or may not know I was a sound engineer, 'back in the day'. My passion for music was fueled by running sound for so many over the years. I still love to listen to music and glad it's around to fuel my fire. Here are some things that got me going and thrilled my iPod and car this year.

Music on Repeat and Music to MY Ears in 2009

Will Hoge - The Wreckage
- So, my man Will is a singer-songwriter from Nashville and has been overlooked and sidestepped by radio, just because they don't know how to classify his music. Typical of Payola radio of this millennium. Will can write, sing, his band is kick-ass. He's assembled his best work I think with this record. While en-route to the studio he was in a very bad scooter accident. His recovery, helped shape this recording.
Suzi McNeil - Rock N roller - Suzi's has been bangin' around the rock scene for years, but didn't get noticed till she was a finalist on "Rock Star: INXS" tv show. She was out singing those other folks down to the wire. This record just came out. I like it. She rocks, her band rocks, nothing too crazy other than some finely crafted songs, no deeper than a Collective Soul record or Foo Fighters. Standout hit: 'Believe'
Norah Jones - The Fall
- Norah makes my heart go. This was produced by the same producer as the latest Kings of Leon recording. He got Norah to branch out and do some interesting things with song structure and layout of the record. This is the sign of a great producer, bringing out the best or better in an already great artist.
Stereophonics - Keep Calm & Carry On
- One of their best. Less pop songwriting and structure and more well developed songs. It sounds like they had a great time putting this one together. I love these guys.
Cory Chisel & The Wandering Sons - Death Won't Send A Letter
- This has to be one of my top favorite recordings this year. I like each and every song. I can't wait to see what the future brings for Cory and his band.
The Beatles -
2009 Stereo Remasters 
- Help!, Sgt. Peppers and Please Please Me all amazing re-work, re mastered recordings from the original tapes.
Jet - Shaka Rock
- Rock band, say it with me, Rock Band. Australian rockers go back to the roots of the early Rolling Stones and show us there is still some original inventive rock music.
Lady Gaga - The Fame
- Bubbly happy, oddball, quirky pop rock. What's not to like. She's pushed Madonna and others out in no time. Her marketing this year has been amazing.
Sarah Jarosz - Song Up In Her Head
- Sarah has this nice little mouse voice and an amazing talent playing mandolin for a 16 year old. Yeah, she's been playing around the bluegrass scene for many years and finally got a recording together, that is spellbinding. She can sing and her mando work has been noticed by some of the best in bluegrass.
Grant Lee Phillips - Little Moon
- I love Grant's voice. It's so unique and this is one of his finest recordings in years. He seems very happy in the way this recording turned out, according to his website. I am happy too. Go back and buy his Grant Lee Buffalo cd's.
Gavin Degraw - Free
- I've been fan of Gavin, since before he hit the airwaves and bad TV shows. He's not quite a prolific songwriter, but getting there. Hopefully, he'll stick with it and keep writing and singing. His music and craftsmanship is a lost art.
The Mummers - Tale to Tell
- Interesting, neat, unique music.
Diane Birch - Bible Belt
- First heard her voice on the way to a bike race on NPR radio. I came home that afternoon and found the recording and haven't stop listening since. Timeless. Turn it up and drive somewhere.
Miike Snow - Miike Snow
- interesting stuff here. A little bit of everything. Check it out if you haven't.
Joe Henry - Dead To The World
- just cause Joe is a genius and if you haven't listened to him yet. Get on it. This is a nice collection of material.
Placebo - Battle for the Sun
- I have listened to a few of their previous recordings and enjoyed them, but not on regular repeated listening. This might be their best effort yet. Melodic, rocking, interesting. It reminds me of mid-80's hard pop rock.
LIVE 8 - Concert Audio (DVD Video)
- I know it's old, but I just got the audio tracks ripped onto the computer. What an amazing collection of artists singing for a cause and some at the peak of their popularity and fitness(so to speak). Check it out, rent it and turn up the volume.
The Fray - The Fray
- I just like these guys. The voice, the way this is mixed, the band etc. all great. Keep the recordings coming guys.
Morrissey - Years Of Refusal
- Yes that's right, he's still alive and still making records. His voice has held up better than Sting's and the music and song writing is great. He scored some nice songs and every listen gets better and better.
Shane Nicholson - Familiar Ghosts
- Australian Shane Nicholson, can write a song. Great folk songs. His voice is like that of James Taylor, I never get tired of hearing him sing delicious melodies.
Ray Lamontagne - Gossip In The Grain
- This did get released at the end of year in 2008, but I didn't get it till 09, so I am counting it in my 09 Favorites. He doesn't have much vocal range, but like Ryan Adams, Tom Petty and others, he can do some pretty cool stuff intertwining his voice with well developed songs and a great band full of musicians and a well-produced recording. 'Meg White' is the standout for me. Nice one to listen to in the car. Unique sound.
Leona Lewis - Spirit
- I spent quite a bit of time listening to this early in 2009 while in the gym. It's happy, great pop and she can sing.
Hank Williams III - Damn Right, Rebel Proud
- not his best work, but still fun ol' hillbilly Hank III. You will find yourself tapping your foot and singing along at some point. I will always be listening and buying.


Radney Foster & The Confessions - Revival
- I've been waiting and waiting and waiting for a 'revival' recording like this from Radney. This guy can write a song and always seems to surround himself with amazing musicians. I didn't see this coming and it's been on iPod repeat. He has been writing amazing songs for over 20 years for himself and others. Previously without the Confessions band, as Radney Foster then with Foster and Loyd. He crafts a fine fine song and surrounds himself with people that know how to play just the right part at just the right time.

Kent - Rod
- Sweden's biggest rock band. These guys remind me of U2, Radiohead and the like. I am not sure how I found them, but I have been listening to their music for about 8 years I think. I can't understand shit they sing, it's all in Swedish, but the music is simply cool.
Lady Antebellum - Lady Antebellum
- Yeah, I am a sucker for this crap. It's supposed to be country, it's not but I think they won a CMA this year. I don't pay attention to that except their performance at the CMA's was simply amazing. Ck it out on youtubey. Great band, great light show and stage. So, I got sucked in, try it out yourself - 'Run to You' is the hit.


01/15/2010

So I left out some frequently played artists....


Ememim - Relapse
-IF you haven't heard it - go buy it - he's smart, it's smart. The beats are crafty.


Rhett Miller - Rhett Miller
-Rhett has been bangin' around the scene for over 10 years as a solo artist and singing with the Old 97's. The 97's are one of my top 20 favorite bands of all time. So, Rhett comes out with a new solo I am all over it, like peanut butter. 
 

Prince: 
not one release but two in 2009. Like him or not...he's a fucking genius.
      Lotusflow3r (2009)
      Mplsound (2009

Megadeth - Endgame
-holly crap, how could I have missed this from my library. Dave can still growl, rock, write and structure a song. I remember the first time I did a gig with his band, some girl jumped up on stage and tried to grab him, he threw her off stage by her hair. (not your stage or show honey)

Everclear - In A Different Light
Always liked his voice....this might be an attempt to cash in on some old songs, ala Foo Fighters style, but who cares. I think it says a lot for the song, if you can break it down or change it into something new like this.

Katy Perry - Unplugged Video and Songs

Give me some shit if you wish, but I just watched this the other night on the Palladium cable channel. I didn't get anything done and was stuck to the couch. She's nice to look at and does some pretty amazing things with her voice. Her band is frigging amazing - that drummer - wow - like-a-clock. You can download the entire thing on iTunes



Notable Songs from 2009

Band: Phantogram
Album: Eyelid Movies
Song:
Mouthful Of Diamonds
-
Band:
Greg Laswell
Album:Covers - EP
Song: This Woman's Work
-
Band: Lady Antebellum

Song: Need You Now

No comments: