Monday, December 14, 2009

Bend, Oregon -Cyclocross Nationals-Vacation = Just watching

My super cool bro-in-law (Tim) and his super cool wife (Julie) and my even cooler super cool wife (Jen) all decided back in September to head out to Bend to see the scenery, visit the town, watch some more cross racing and hang out with friends. It was actually Tim and Julie's idea. An outsider would think we'd seen or participated in enough of cross for 2009. Nope. Never enough. Cross rules and was going to be a Christmas gift to ourselves.

Flying across the country from Ohio is not for the meek. I had not flown to the west coast for a few years. Flying has not gotten easier and the 12 hour travel day to Bend would rip any sense of sanity from your skull. Patience my man patience.
Our collective goals; watch some of the cross nationals, absorb ourselves in the Bend 'experience', go skiing at Mt. Bachelor, try out some snow shoes, visit with Brady + Sarah - cousin Russ - Amy + Scott - Brooke, and sample some local brewery's. (www.bendbrewingco.com, www.deschutesbrewery.com)
We did well with our goals, missing out seeing Brooke, who was in Bend to race Nationals for Lindsey Wilson on Sunday.

Thursday: We spent taking in the sights around town, walking around and doing some shopping. We made our way (unplanned) over to the Cross Nats course area on our way to the super cool, factory turned REI store in what they call the Old Mill District. We caught some of the Master's races and fed our belly's at Cafe Yumm. We finished off the evening with some amazing dinner and some tasty beverages.

Friday: Amy and Scott provided fantastic company and transportation in their family truckster van up to Mount Bachelor for a fine day of skiing. Jen was nervous from the time we got up. So, I bought her some lessons to make her day better. She had a big hump to get over from her last (very bad) experience skiing with Tim and I at the 2000 Winter X-Games. A great day for all, including Jen, with no broken bones or major yard-sale falls. Quote of our trip: "Hey" from a guy stopped and yelling at me from down the slope near Tim. "Hey dude, how'z it goin?" he yells again. I'm not sure he's yelling at me, so I go with the proverbial looser look behind me, I then realize he is talking to me.
I reply with the coolest ski line I can muster, "it's going great". He replies with this gem, "...rocking the blue jeans huh dude?". I hear Tim start to cackle with a laugh and realize I am the only guy "rocking the blue jeans" on the entire mountain. Tim and I finish skiing to the lift and he is sill laughing and still laughing after we get to the top again.

Saturday: A tough day for all of us to get moving and get organized since we didn't have a rental car. Jen and Julie volunteered since they said they were beat from skiing to stay behind and go shopping for a bit. Sarah and Brady volunteered to take Tim and I on our snow shoe trip up towards mount bachelor. We rented snow shoes and poles from REI for 10 bucks a piece. Sick. We all agreed driving up to the deepest snow we could find, which happened to be across from the ski resort in a small parking lot. Brady and Sarah were on borrowed snow shoes and the ones Brady ended up with were too small and not big enough to support him in the deep snow. He put some tall winter boots on and we were off. Tim and Sarah had no issues getting their shoes on and got it right the first time out of the lot. I however, had to stop a few times and get my feet moved back further to take advantage of the hinge point of the snow shoe. After some help from Brady and adjustments, smooth sailing. Not sure what all of us were thinking, but no one bothered to take any cliff bars or water with us. High point, we got to see a pair of dog sleds, being pulled by some very happy dogs. Two park rangers also stopped to talk to us for about 15 minutes, we all had a friendly chat, got to see their snowmobiles up close and learn one of them was a Cincinnati native. The six of us met up in Bend, for some needed beverages and food. A great way to end the day.

Tim and Julie and Jen and I decided to go our separate ways for our last dinner in Bend, Jen and I ended up hitting the Pine Tavern. A nice dinner with Jen but mediocre food and the least friendly server in town I think. We met up with Amy and Scott for local ice cream at Goody's, which was tasty, not Jeni's, but a nice way to finish our vacation.
One night six of us went out to a most excellent and my favorite dinner to Ciao Mambo. Great service and great food. On the way out one night, we walked by a local coffee favorite, the Thump Cafe, where there was a Speedvagen bicycle outside. Only to find out later, the owner, Sacha White the owner/designer was inside, until I got home.




No comments: